Rules are not always the most fun – but they’re pretty essential when it comes to operating a group space with many people and personalities in the one container. We’ve tried to make these rules through two lenses: one that creates a safe and inclusive space for all, and one that helps us to operate smoothly and seamlessly. Please take a read below and make sure you’re familiar with the rules of Navina Costa Rica:
- ☻ We are a dry space – which means no alcohol or drugs are to be consumed or even brought onto the premises. To read more about this and WHY this is the rule, please click here. We do take this rule very seriously, and if you decide to disrespect this rule, you will be asked to leave the centre and you will not be entitled to any refund. (Please note that if you have prescription medication, we must be alerted to this well before your arrival so that we are prepared).
- ☻ Smoking cigarettes is discouraged at the centre, both in the context of optimizing health as well as to minimize our impact on our surrounding nature (the jungle and its inhabitants). If you must smoke there is a designated spot at the entryway to the property that can be used. Butts must be placed in the receptacle provided.
- ☻ The kitchen is a staff-only place. Please ensure that any and all needs are communicated to a staff member and we’ll take care of it for you. Having only staff in the kitchen both reduces traffic in a busy spot and keeps you (our guests) away from a series of sharp objects, thus reducing the risk of encountering any injuries. It also ensures that we have all the inventory we expect for all meals.
- ☻ “Birding” and card game competitions are encouraged but must not get violent. 😉
- ☻ Do not enter the jungle after dark. Any and all expeditions, unless expressly included within your retreat package, must be done during daylight hours and you must be back before 5:20pm.
- ☻ Showers longer than 5 minutes will be punishable by lukewarm coffee…
- ☻ All toilet paper and sanitary products are to be placed in small bins located in each toilet stall. Please ensure that no paper, products (or anything that didn’t just come from within you) goes down the loo.
- ☻ If you leave skiddies in the toilet for the next person, we will test them for your DNA and for particularly tenacious skiddies we’ll have to charge you a cleaning fine upon departure. The fine will be based on time taken to scrub…
- ☻Noise out at 9:00pm. Lights out at 10:00pm. If you’d like to stay up longer, a personal flashlight may be used, but we ask that all platform lighting be off by 10pm for the consideration of our retreat-mates, giving everyone an opportunity to have a full, sound sleep.
- ☻ Platforms are shoe-free zones. This is for both your tent spaces, and for common spaces such as the dining area, bathroom blocks and training platform. Please make sure shoes are left at the edge of each of these structures. It’s an idea to bring flip-flops/thongs/jandles/sandles depending on your origins, for walking around the centre for easy removal.
Other than these essentials, we try to live in a way that minimizes our impact on the environment and also holds space for our fellow retreat attendees. We also really love the idea of taking nothing but photos, and leaving nothing but footprints.
Looking forward to creating a wonderful, safe and inclusive experience for you on retreat.